The Whistlepodus are going crazy for a man who snatched the series from our opponents and helped the Indian Cricket Team to crush New Zealand with a clean sweep in the Test Series. Yes, we are talking about Ravichandran Ashwin.
He not only just spun the ball, he spun it both ways, mixed it up like it was a piece of cake and rattled the opponent’s batting order one after the other.
Just when it looked like the NZ batsmen have started to settle down, in came Ashwin and wickets fell in quick succession.
Here are some of the facts about his outstanding performance:
- Ashwin took his 21 five-wicket hauls in the 39 Tests he has played for India.
- Ashwin won his seventh man-of-the-series award. Since his debut, he is the only bowler who has won seven MoS awards. No other bowler has more than four.
- Ashwin has won seven man-of-the-series awards in his last eight Test series. Also, this was his fourth consecutive MoS award in Test series. Only Imran Khan and Malcom Marshall have the same record.
- Ashwin’s ten-wicket haul was his second in this series. He is only the second Indian to do so after Harbhajan Singh, who picked up two ten-wicket hauls against Australia in 2000-01
- Four of Ashwin’s six 10-wicket hauls have been 12-wicket hauls. He has overtaken Anil Kumble (3) and is now second in the world. Only Muttiah Muralitharan has more. (6)
- It took 104 Matches/43 Series for the Great Wasim Akram to win 7 MoS awards. Ashwin has 7 in 39 Matches/14 Series.
At this pace, it looks like, Ashwin is in for breaking some huge world records.
Here’s how his home team reacted:
— Chennai Super Kings (@ChennaiIPL) October 11, 2016
Here’s what the Captain had to say about the victory:
— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) October 11, 2016
Wishing Ashwin great success in the coming future. Keep up the good work!