After a long wait post the launch of Amazon Prime Delivery in July, Amazon has officially launched its Prime Video Service in India. The service is immediately available on both Android and iOS devices if you are already an amazon Prime member. It will give access to the streaming of exclusive Amazon Originals, movies, and TV shows on a subscription basis.
The tag line for the service is ‘Unlimited ad-free streaming of Amazon Originals, premium movies and TV shows from India and around the world’.
Here is everything you wanted to know about the video service:
- Amazon Prime Video Service is an extension of Amazon’s Prime service which offers services like free delivery of products on a priority basis, along with an early access to lightning deals.
- Amazon Prime Video is available for subscription at just Rs. 499 per year; the full price is supposed to be Rs. 999 per year, though it’s unclear when that comes into effect. This translates to a pricing of Rs 42 per month and even at full price it would be under Rs. 100 per month.
- Amazon’s pricing is significantly lower than Netflix whose subscription starts at Rs 500 per month for a basic plan while homegrown alternatives such as Hotstar is priced at Rs 190 a month.
- You can use your Indian Amazon Prime account to view Amazon Prime Videos in other countries, at which point you’ll see the catalogue for that country. That means, if you have an Indian account for just Rs. 499, you can still access the full US catalogue of Amazon Prime Video, although the US Prime membership costs $99, or around Rs. 6700.
- Amazon has confirmed tie-up with Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions and T-series to stream some of its existing and upcoming movies. It is also reportedly in talks to gain access to IPL streaming rights.
- Users will be able to set up Prime Video on multiple devices that they own, and will be able to watch the content on their laptops, smart TV, gaming consoles or desktops as they like.
- iOS and Andriod devices users can install the Amazon Prime Video app from App Store and Play Store respectively.